Friday 18 November 2011

POOR DYING CORMORANT


Just up from this rather pretty tree path is a man made lake made by a rich neighbour! Have to say its been done well and been there nearly ten years. There are lots of different birds and on a passing footpath you often get several anoraks with binoculars.

Went walking there today. By the side of the lake Molly found a bird - her tail wagging nearly giving her lift off. This poor Cormorant was really ill. I think its neck was broken. It could hardly move. But it was alive and the keys kept on blinking whilst its poor body was gently heaving. Miles away from anywhere what was I to do. I have to say I cried a bit about the pointlessness of it all and how fragile life is.

I held its body and it didn't flinch. Poor little thing. The sun was shining and it was a lovely autumn day and this bird was dying.

I walked away and said to myself that if its still alive when I get back I will take it to a vet.

I walked back and it was barely still alive. But whilst walking I thought more about it and I thought "what would I like if it was me". A pretty daft thing to think about but would I want in my last moments of life to be carried by an alien being, moved about a lot, stressed out a lot, and then poked around by another alien being. Probably dying of a heart attack along the route.

Or would I like to end my days peacefully in the sunshine amongst things I knew.

I moved the head so it was more comfortable and left it.

Don't even get me started about mixie rabbits.

Molly and I continued back home in the autumnal sunshine and both very subdued. Me because I saw my own mortality in the bird and Moll because I was sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment